Thursday, April 3, 2014

Bless you!


When I was growing up the word fart was considered a four letter word. When my children were young they were also taught the word fart was rude and unacceptable.

   Times have changed though. I recently read my 6 year old grandson and my 2 year old granddaughter ‘Walter the Farting Dog’. A lovely book about a dog that has rectal flatulence, as the vet in the book calls it, with Walter saving the day with his special talent.

   Although the word fart may be rude and unacceptable, farting was always considered funny. Blazing Saddles has a classic campfire scene. There are even aged old products like the whoopee cushion that remains a best seller.

   It is interesting that when infants smile we all assume it is gas. How does a little baby already know that farting is funny? 

  So why was or is fart considered a bad word. Is belch a bad word? Burp? Hiccup? Sneeze? Cough?  They are all bodily functions usually accompanied by a sound. I have heard many disgusting belches and sneezes!
 Could it be the source of the word? Fart is from the Middle English words ferten , feortan, or farten. All wonderful words I am sure our grandparents used quite often in Europe. 

  I think its time to welcome the fart to our daily lives, like a cough, a sneeze or a belch. And maybe, just maybe, say "bless you" when hearing one.

                     Just one way I think we can make this world a funnier place to live.  

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment