Thursday, March 13, 2014

A good neighbor?


Yesterday I carpooled to the office with a neighbor, in his car, and we decided, because of the snow, that we would park the car at the Finch subway station and take the train to work. My neighbor though was going to the raptors game after work so I offered to return home by train and drive his car home for him.

 If anyone has taken the subway from the Finch station you would know how big the parking lot is. It could be a 15-20 minute walk from your car to the subway. But we were lucky yesterday. Although seeming to be a mirage there was an empty spot, a little tight, against the southern fence that was only a 10 minute walk to the subway. All was good.

  My return home began a little after 5 hoping to be home by 6 for a nice dinner.

Now I am not sure what the worst part of the trip home was:

-The young boy sitting next to me repeating “Harvey” over and over again for 50 minutes? All I could think about was “Harveys makes a hamburger a beautiful thing”

-The subway delay, as a power outage forced the train to a stand still for close to half an hour? As “Harvey” continued.

-The brutal wind and cold as I walked through the snow to the car at Finch station ?

-The realization that the snow plows plowed in the car because we were parked along a fence?

-Cleaning the snow off the car which was even more difficult as the spot was tight and being parked along the fence it was very difficult getting to the windshield?

-Watching my yarmulke, like a flying saucer, take off from my head in the wind, flying over a 10 foot embankment and fence only for me to watch and wave goodbye?

-the additional 40 minute drive to get home through traffic?

-climbing up my neighbor’s 20 treacherous snow buried steps to return the keys to the car?

-Or thinking about my neighbor sitting quite comfortably at the Raptors game with a beer and hot dog in his hand as I spent the last 2 hours trying to get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment