Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Why not just lick my fingers

   I am not a true germaphobe but I do try to avoid other people’s germs. I like my personal space, I dislike close talkers(like on Seinfeld), and generally I try to keep my germs to myself.                                                                                  

 When I take a subway I will never touch the handrail and if a seat looks particularly dirty I will not sit on it. If someone coughs or sneezes on me I am totally grossed out and if someone mistakenly spits on me I am close to being nauseous.

 But, I think this is normal. I would suggest that most of us are like this. No one likes sharing germs or being spit upon.

 So what’s the story with POPCORN?

 Have you ever had popcorn at a party or a movie? One strange hand after another goes into the popcorn bowl, removing a few kernels, proceeding to place this popcorn, hand and fingers into the mouth only to return to the popcorn bowl for another handful. We all do this. How many germs are in this bowl?  Have you ever seen a scooper in a popcorn bowl? Why not? Maybe we should start having personal popcorn bowls.

  I have been to many dinner parties where the hostess places a large bowl of popcorn on the table to be shared as part of the dessert. No one flinches. What if she would put a big touraine of soup in the middle of the table and gives everyone a spoon, would we take one spoon after another directly from the Touraine? Why is this different than popcorn sharing?
 
   I will continue to eat popcorn but I will also be more attentive to who else is diving in. If I don’t like the way a person looks in a hot tub I don’t go in. The same will now apply to popcorn. For those of you who don’t look too good be happy because there is going to be a lot more popcorn for each of you

No comments:

Post a Comment